Apple shares stern warning against common iPhone habit that poses fire risk
There's nothing quite like the thrill of a new phone, unwrapping it and treating it with the upmost care for approximately two weeks before the newness vanishes.
After that most of us become a little bit less careful with our iPhones, often dropping them or charging constantly as the battery deteriorates.
This is rarely a problem, unless that drop ends up smashing the phone, but you could be unknowingly setting yourself and your Apple device up to disaster with common mistakes that are easily avoidable.
At the end of the day your phone is an electrical device, which comes with risks – especially if you like listening to music in the shower.
Easy check everyone with an Apple iPhone should do NOW to save money
Discover, learn, grow. We are Curiously. Follow us on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Apple has shared important safety information which breaks down all the genuine safety issues that could come from owning an iPhone, from distracted driving to simply handling it with care.
Within this long list of dos and don'ts there are some things many of us are guilty of that we absolutely shouldn't be doing.
"Don't use the power adapter in wet locations, such as near a sink, bathtub, or shower stall, and don't connect or disconnect the power adapter with wet hands," warned the tech giant.
While the phones are water resistant, with the iPhone 14 able to go to a depth of 6 metres for half an hour, that does not mean they are water safe when charging.
Mind-numbing illusion challenges you to find hidden lemon in fruit – can you spot it?
Moisture can sit in the lightning port and spark a reaction when connected to the charger as this passes heavy voltage into the device – even if your phone was just in the room while you had a shower, steam could be lurking in the port so let your phone dry completely before charging.
Apple also warned about what kind of charging cable you should use. With many people trying to push their money further during the cost of living crisis, you might be tempted to stick with a frayed cable for longer than usual – but it's a bad idea.
Once the wire has begun to fray around the top of the cable, this becomes a fire hazard as the plastic coating protecting the wire had come loose. This is a common issue as we tend to bend the wire around this point without knowing simply by using the phone when it is plugged in.
Often, our phones are left to charge on beds, under pillows overnight, or on carpeted floors – if you have a frayed cable that sparks in the night this could be a danger to yourself and others.
The tech giant recommends we simply stop using the wire at this point and purchase a new one – this doesn't have to be a genuine Apple cable, just one that doesn't have electrical wires exposed.
Do you have a story to share? We pay for stories. Email us at email@example.com
Expert's little-known lip balm trick helps perfume last 'throughout the day'
Ted Lasso star 'always' gets nervous on stage but says that's 'part of the thrill'
Apple iPhone beaten by Samsung's new budget Galaxy phone in ultimate camera test
Blood, spit and potatoes could be used to build houses on Mars – scientists say
Skincare expert explains exactly why you should wear SPF and warns against baby oil